Public speaking engagements: talks, workshops & courses
Where Valerie Matarese PhD has recently spoken, in Italy and beyond:
- SEMM European School of Molecular Medicine, Milan, 7 July 2017: "Getting into IMRaD. The research article structure as a guide to reading and writing the scientific literature" (one-day workshop, held on special request)
- SEMM European School of Molecular Medicine, Milan, 4 July 2017: "Basic techniques in scientific writing" (one-day workshop)
- Fondazione IRCCS – Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, September–November 2016: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (7–day course for doctoral students and early career researchers)
- Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 12th annual meeting (METM16), Tarragona, 15 October 2016: "Author editing—the provenance and prospects of our profession"
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche "Mario Negri", PhD Student Meeting, Milano, 14 luglio 2016: "Writing for Reproducibility: Strategies to optimize the language and content of your research reports". VIDEO
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (IRCCS), Milan, 19 May 2016: one-day course on basic techniques of scientific writing (in other words, how to write reader-friendly texts)
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (IRCCS), Milan, 27 May 2015: seminar and workshop on writing grant proposals
- Centro di Riferimento Oncologico IRCCS Aviano, Ciclo Formativo d'Approfondimento su Programmi Internazionali — Marie Curie, Aviano (PN), 29 January 2015: "Scrivere grant proposal: tecniche per presentare la tua idea con chiarezza e incisività" (in English)
- Società Italiana di Cancerologia, 56th Annual Meeting, Ferrara, 11 September 2014, Pre-meeting Gruppo Giovani: "Writing Grant Proposals: three techniques to present your idea with clarity and conviction"
- Erasmus Intensive Programme, Training, Translating and Touring in Venice, 5–19 July 2014: roundtable on translating and editing as a profession (with Maureen Freely and Loredana Polezzi)
- Mario Negri Pharmacological Reseach Institute, PhD Student Meeting, Milan, 25 June 2014: "Writing the biomolecular research report: an overview of techniques for producing rigorous yet reader-friendly prose"
- Fondazione IRCCS – Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, May–July 2014: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (7–day course for doctoral students)
- Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 8th annual meeting (METM12), Venice, 26 October 2012: "Craft and critical vision: mastering the skills of good writing" (round table)
- St Jude Medical Italia Spa, training event, Milan, 7 July 2012: "Effective Medical Reading"
- Institute of Biomedical Technologies, National Research Council, Segrate (MI), May–July 2012: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (5-day course for young researchers)
- Fondazione IRCCS – Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, March–May 2011: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (7–day course for doctoral students)
- Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 7th annual meeting (METM11), Barcelona, 22 October 2011: "Establishing a dialogue between research and practice: a look at the potential benefits" (panel discussion)
- Società Italiana di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, 95th conference, 23 November 2010: "Introduzione al processo di peer reviewing"
- Azienda Ospedale Universitaria S. Anna, Ferrara, 29 February 2010: "Quality Reporting of Biomedical Research: Guidelines – Challenges – Strategies" (two CME accredited workshops)
Reporting—the final phase of scientific research—can and should be supported. A case for integrating language professionals into the research setting. RT. A Journal of Research Policy and Evaluation. 2013; 1:1
Good language is vital to research communication. Research Information, 14 Jan 2013
Multiple rejections: role of the writing process.
Lancet. 2011; 378:1296 (letter)
Independent information professionals in Europe: using geopolitical and cultural boundaries to advantage. Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2011; 37(3):37-39
Emerging concepts in high-impact publishing: insights from the First Brazilian Colloquium on High Impact Research and Publishing. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 2010; 46(4):451-455
Teaching and Learning Publishing Skills in Biomedical and Clinical Sciences: A Guide to Setting Educational Priorities. Up To it. 2010 (self-published white paper)
Relationship between quality and editorial leadership of biomedical research journals: a comparative study of Italian and UK journals. PLoS ONE. 2008; 3(7):e2512
Editing Research: The author editing approach to providing effective support to writers of research papers. Information Today, Inc., Medford, NJ, USA, September 2016
Supporting Research Writing: Roles and challenges in multilingual settings. Chandos, Oxford, UK, 2013 (edited volume)
Effective Biomolecular Reading and Writing. Matarese Valerie Ann, Vidor, Italy, 2017
Supporting Research Writing in Non-Anglophone Contexts: Role of Language Professionals. 2016 meeting of European Association of Science Editors, Strasbourg. This poster won the Annals of Botany Award for Best Non-Medical Poster.
Authors' Editors: Partners in communication at the service of researchers and readers. 2016 meeting of European Association of Science Editors, Strasbourg. Research highlights from my forthcoming book Editing Research.
METM12 — 8th annual meeting of Mediterranean Editors and Translators, Don Orione Artigianelli, Venice — Chair of the organizing committee
The English Language Consultant. MET's guidelines for choosing an editor, translator, interpreter or other language service provider — Chair of the revision committee
Copyright © UpTo infotechnologies. Page created 8 March 2015. Latest update, 15 July 2017.